Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Sandwich Generation

I am beginning to realize truly what it means to be a part of the "sandwich generation". For those of you who have not heard of this before, it means that you are "sandwiched" between your aging parents and your children that are still at home. My husband and I are now beginning to watch our parents die while trying to nurture three teenagers and a three-year-old. I got a call from my mother sharing about my father's fragile heart and under-functioning remaining kidney and, of course, I am terribly saddened by this news. We live around the block, so to speak, from my parents, and minutes from my husband's. It has been so wonderful for our children to have their grandparents be able to participate in their schooling and in their growing up and that will soon come to an end. I suddenly realized that the baton is being passed. I will soon be responsible to nurture the next generation and that is a beautiful, yet frightening proposition. I am so grateful to the Lord. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I guess we are never really ready for that passing of the baton. I could never actively choose to grasp it in my hand and begin to run. Thank you, Lord, for making that kind of decision for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment